Michael Puttman's Small-Dollar Loan Forums
Pawn Shops and Thieves - Printable Version

+- Michael Puttman's Small-Dollar Loan Forums (http://michaelputtman.com)
+-- Forum: Small-Dollar Loans (http://michaelputtman.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Pawn Loans (http://michaelputtman.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Pawn Shops and Thieves (/showthread.php?tid=134)

Pawn Shops and Thieves - jyy - 01-30-2018

It seems like the cops would be aware of this.  In that case, why are they kept open?  Well, one compromise might be some investigation into the true ownership of pawned things.  Is that practical, though?

RE: Pawn Shops and Thieves - lisadolor - 01-30-2018

I think pawned items which are actually stolen aren't really being traced if where it really came from because some doesn't actually report it and considered it as lost already. No one is complaining about it and maybe they just find it as waste of time if they will keep on tracing their stolen valuable items which are stolen.

RE: Pawn Shops and Thieves - aecel - 01-31-2018

I think there are some pawn shops require to show the original receipts of the items so it will be safe for them to accept the items because it's legit and not came from thieves. Cops are aware of this but it's really hard to trace which items are not stolen maybe the Government should pass a law when accepting items in a pawn shop. Borrowers should show some proofs before they can pawn their items in that way stolen items will be lessened in a pawn shop but thieves can also find some buyers besides from pawn shop. Cops should really do their jobs to capture all criminals.

RE: Pawn Shops and Thieves - kaisantos2229 - 01-31-2018

Actually in my country pawn shops are forbidden to accept stolen items from thieves. If a pawn shop is caught accepting stolen items, government will order a closure notice to the guilty party. I think there are simple ways to know if an item is stolen, like for example in iPhones, before the pawn shop accepts your item they require you to disable first your iCloud then if you cannot disable it then that will raise a red flag.

RE: Pawn Shops and Thieves - JB Fernandez - 01-31-2018

(01-30-2018, 05:58 AM)lisadolor Wrote: I think pawned items which are actually stolen aren't really being traced if where it really came from because some doesn't actually report it and considered it as lost already. No one is complaining about it and maybe they just find it as waste of time if they will keep on tracing their stolen valuable items which are stolen.

That's if the pawnshop is not keen enough on the requirements needed for pawning an item. They should have ask for a proof of ownership before accepting it in their pawnshop.

RE: Pawn Shops and Thieves - marblank1313 - 02-01-2018

It really depends on the location and the rules of the pawnshop. Most of them accept pawns without papers or any proof that the item belongs to you or your allowed to pawn such item. So thieves takes advantage of these kind of pawnshops. Some requires you to have proof but most likely you can still push to pawn your item with just good reasoning. I don't know who have the right to tighten the regulations about this but, is it the option of the company? or the government can pass a law regarding this matter.

RE: Pawn Shops and Thieves - kgord - 02-01-2018

I guess requirements and rules of pawnshops vary as to what they will accept in terms of proof of ownership. I think now a days people who steal are more likely to try to sell items on craigslist and eBay rather than just run to the local pawnshop, but I guess it varies.

RE: Pawn Shops and Thieves - Uyj143 - 02-01-2018

Stolen Items at a Pawn Shop
Contrary to popular belief, pawn shops hardly ever end up with stolen goods
For some reason, many people wrongly associate pawn shops with the underbelly of society and assume that our shops are full of stolen goods. The truth is, experienced criminals never take stolen items to pawnshops. In fact, according to the National Pawnbrokers Association, less than 0.5 percent of all pawned merchandise is ever identified as stolen.

RE: Pawn Shops and Thieves - kaisantos2229 - 02-02-2018

(02-01-2018, 09:14 PM)Uyj143 Wrote: Stolen Items at a Pawn Shop
Contrary to popular belief, pawn shops hardly ever end up with stolen goods
For some reason, many people wrongly associate pawn shops with the underbelly of society and assume that our shops are full of stolen goods. The truth is, experienced criminals never take stolen items to pawnshops. In fact, according to the National Pawnbrokers Association, less than 0.5 percent of all pawned merchandise is ever identified as stolen.

Yes I agree with you, professional thieves never bring their stolen items to pawn shop. Some pawn shop now a days have created a way for them to know if the item is stolen or not and professional thieves knows it, that is why they don't bring stolen things to a pawn shop. Because if they do, this criminals know that whey will probably end up going to prison.

RE: Pawn Shops and Thieves - Henrywrites - 02-03-2018

The case of stolen items being pawned is a really grace situation and one that lawn shops shouldn't for any reason joke with. The thing is that you may not really understand how grave such crime is until the item is traced back to the pawn shop. This is the reason most of the pawn shops now try as much as they could to demand for original receipts that prove ownership of whatever item that you want to pawn in order to avoid issues in the future.