Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Places to avoid using a debit card or credit card while traveling
Not all places are safe to use or swipe your credit cards and debit cards. Be careful because I've watched numerous news that syndicates cloning their credit cards, installing skimming devices on ATMs and hacked their accounts.

Here are the Five Places to avoid using a debit card or credit card while traveling.
Source: take time to read to get some tips: 
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2014/06/10...eling.html 

1. Gas Stations 
2. Restaurants
3. Standalone ATMs
4. Car Rental Counters
5. Hotels

Have you had a bad experience on these places?
I usually used my debit and credit card for groceries and online transactions. If I need to withdraw some amount, I use atm inside or within the bank premises for security. For online transactions, I only choose those I've tried in the past safe. I'm a bit cautious using my cards to avoid inconvenience in the future.
Thanks for sharing this! Fortunately, I never had an experience where my credit/debit card got hacked by scammers. I would never want that to happen!! That would be a complete nightmare! But after coming across the article that you provided, I will be extra careful before deciding to
swipe my card at a particular location that isn't safe.
(01-29-2018, 01:07 AM)aecel Wrote: Not all places are safe to use or swipe your credit cards and debit cards. Be careful because I've watched numerous news that syndicates cloning their credit cards, installing skimming devices on ATMs and hacked their accounts.

Here are the Five Places to avoid using a debit card or credit card while traveling.
Source: take time to read to get some tips: 
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2014/06/10...eling.html 

1. Gas Stations 
2. Restaurants
3. Standalone ATMs
4. Car Rental Counters
5. Hotels

Have you had a bad experience on these places?

Nice one @aecel, this is for the purpose of security and nothing beats security in this life. It's better to be very careful and cautious when it comes to one's fund and not fall victim to thieves who would stop at nothing in rendering people penny less. Although I haven't had such experience before but I have heard stories of the unfortunate ones who are bankrupted by these criminals.
Yeah its bad to use it in gas stations and restaurants because it have a higher charge so when you use it in their you will surprise when you your bill is go higher so think wise before you swipe.
Thanks for the heads up! but there are a lot of perks when using your card in gas stations. Well, at least it is here in the Philippines it is. You can earn points when using your card with a specific gas station and you can convert those points into cinema tickets and/or free gas! Free is always good! hahaha
You're right on this that some hotels, restaurants and other specific places might be risky to use the credit card on to avoid issues of hacking the account of such person and taking off the money that should have been used on other things. I am always careful while shopping and paying at those places and rather use cash to pay instead.
For me its Restaurants

Eating out is a significant part of the travel experience, but make sure your meal is memorable because of the food and wine, not because that’s when your card got compromised.

The payment process for card-using customers is the same at most restaurants. The server takes your card and runs it, out of sight, on a machine. This always increases the possibility that your information may be stolen, but using a debit card puts your entire bank account at risk.

And what about those handheld credit card devices that are popular in places like the U.K.? They’re not as safe as they might seem.

According to Abagnale, many of those devices aren’t encrypted because of the extra cost involved. “If you buy them unencrypted, they’re about $500 each,” he said. “If you buy them encrypted, they’re about $1,200 apiece. … And the purchasing agent’s job is to purchase things for as little money as possible.
I will like to add to this good piece of write up about the safety of one's credit card or debit cards as to where and when to make use of it in carrying out transactions. There is a recurring cases of people getting robbed using their credit card or debit card on weekends. Once it's late at night, try everything in your power to avoid going to the ATM to make use of card. Hooligans take such opportunity and intimidate the card owner to make withdrawal against their wish as long as you are there alone.
I didn't know we should avoid using our credit/debit cards in restaurants and hotels. Why is that? Aren't they supposed to be safe? When I used to work in a hotel in England most people would pay their bill with their credit card, no one was afraid to do it.