Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Places to avoid using a debit card or credit card while traveling
(01-31-2018, 04:36 AM)chikatilo Wrote: I didn't know we should avoid using our credit/debit cards in restaurants and hotels. Why is that? Aren't they supposed to be safe? When I used to work in a hotel in England most people would pay their bill with their credit card, no one was afraid to do it.

It says in article that in restaurants "the server takes your card and runs it, out of sight, on a machine, This always increases the possibility that the cardholder information may be stolen, but using a debit card puts your entire bank account at risk" and in hotels "most hotels put a hold on a certain amount of their debit-paying guests' funds to cover incidentals like room service and minibar fees (even if guests don't use them)." 

Maybe not all restaurants and hotels aren't safe. I'm sure those reputable establishments are safe to use a credit card or debit card.

I think every place has a risk, even in our own house. Your credit card can be stolen anywhere and anytime if a thief would want to. I mean we can avoid it for a long time but we cannot certainly prevent it from happening.
Great share, but it also depends on the place, like where you're not familiar at or a place where no one literally goes. And it would be obvious if that place actually don't have a customer. And just be careful the next time you go on a trip or wherever you go, like not everyone is safe in this world.
(01-31-2018, 04:36 AM)chikatilo Wrote: I didn't know we should avoid using our credit/debit cards in restaurants and hotels. Why is that? Aren't they supposed to be safe? When I used to work in a hotel in England most people would pay their bill with their credit card, no one was afraid to do it.

The explanation is not basically that they are not safe. I mean the analysis is not a generalized one where you would say that we shouldn't put our card pins on websites when buying things simply because one person or the other was scammed. The thing is that we need to be careful the type of hotels that we agreed to use our credit cards to avoid regrets later. 
Great article! Yes. We should be really careful and vigilant in using and swiping our credit cards. You can't really be sure if a place is safe and secured. It is better if you use cash when paying in the different establishments mentioned. Only swipe your cards at secured places.
(01-29-2018, 01:07 AM)aecel Wrote: Not all places are safe to use or swipe your credit cards and debit cards. Be careful because I've watched numerous news that syndicates cloning their credit cards, installing skimming devices on ATMs and hacked their accounts.

Here are the Five Places to avoid using a debit card or credit card while traveling.
Source: take time to read to get some tips: 
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2014/06/10...eling.html 

1. Gas Stations 
2. Restaurants
3. Standalone ATMs
4. Car Rental Counters
5. Hotels

Have you had a bad experience on these places?
Yeah. Card skimming is very common issue today in different countries. Hackers are more aggressive now in stealing money online. What I can't understand is why are the customers need to suffer from this kind of issues if it's the bank duties to protect their customers? Therefore, if we got been victimized by this kind fraud the bank should refund all the money that has been taken away from our account without our consent.