Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is hiding a credit card from your spouse considered cheating?
Per this NBC News article

Quote:...some 15 million American adults in live-in relationships have a bank account or credit card that they are concealing from their partners, and another nine million admitted that they once had some form of secret account.

Is hiding a credit card from your spouse is just as bad as cheating. What do you think?
(01-29-2018, 03:09 PM)Michael Puttman Wrote: Per this NBC News article

Quote:...some 15 million American adults in live-in relationships have a bank account or credit card that they are concealing from their partners, and another nine million admitted that they once had some form of secret account.

Is hiding a credit card from your spouse is just as bad as cheating. What do you think?

In as much as it is not a good thing to conceal the ownership and usage of credit cards from our spouses, it is right in some situations and wrong in others. One thing that we really need to see in the whole issue is when we marry wives that are extravagant in nature, then there are possibilities that they might use the credit cards to buy over the board or try to convince the man to do so. However, a wife that is understanding might not go that length to do so and I am in support of letting such wives know about the existence of credit cards at home. 

The nature of spending habits of my spouse is the most determining factor in my hiding my credit card or debit card from her. If she is the spendthrift type, I don't see any reason why I would hide my credit card or debit card from her. But once she is the type that does not have control in how she spends, I wouldn't dare leaving my cards to her possession because she would definitely render me bankrupt.
Yes, it can be considered as cheating because as partners, you should not hide anything from each other. You should be transparent which includes all your resources and incomes. But being transparent should not arrive to the point that you will interfere with each other's decision when it comes to money, credits and such things. Interfering in a way that one should always follow what the other one wants and vice versa. There should always be a maintenance of an open communication when it comes to such things.
Yes it considered as a cheating because when you hide your credit card to your partner it is the sign that you use your credit card for other purpose it is the sign that you use it to ther partner so it will considered as wrong so when you have a partner you must be say anything to her or him because you must share anything.
Actually, I have a friend that once hid her bank account from her husband. When she's telling us about it we kind of laugh we kept asking her why did she have to lie and she said that her husband didn't give her enough budget for their daily expenses that he's always relying on her salary she's a teacher so she has a good amount of salary from her job. Maybe there is always conception that a husband must be a good provider so she's expecting that her husband must give good enough budget for his family. Therefore, it depends on the situation it's not always cheating but I think you should not lie to your partners if you have nothing to hide tell the truth as much as possible to avoid conflict.

Well, it could raise a suspicion to your partner and it could cause a tension in your relation that will basically end up into divorce. But if you have a reasonable reason for doing such a thing, then maybe it's right.

If your reason is you to spend on or buy something that you partner don't approve, you can always talk to your partner and just be honest. I'm sure your partner loves you enough that your partner cannot resist giving his/her approval.

I don't think it's necessarily bad. We are all adults and we make our conscious choices in life. Some people are just a bit more cautious than others. Some people only trust themselves. I have been in a relationship where I loved my partner but I just couldn't trust her enough. I wasn't lying about the money I have, I just didn't tell her everything about my financial activities. Providing such information can make your partner ask too many questions, expect things from you that you're not obligated to do/provide/buy, etc..
For me it was easier this way.

It depends on the relationship and the people involved. If they have been together long enough and trust each other with their life, then I guess there wouldn't be any need of secrecy.

I'm curious to know what your opinion on the subject is, Michael.
In my point of view, trying to withhold something from your partner, whether it be hiding financial information or something else, can damage the relationship. The person may lose trust and may even ask for a divorce if the issue is not solved. However, I don't think to hide your credit card from your spouse is considered cheating because there are far worse situations that fall into the category of cheating rather than this. Like a person who commits adultery, that can be considered as cheating. So if your spouse finds out about your hidden credit card, be patient and tell her to forgive you. It may take some time and effort, but she will come back to love you!
It's said that two things are what would likely kill a man, and it's either money or woman. Now, there is only one way a women can kill a man and it's through his heart or his money. Now, from where I'm concerned, if my women is going after my heart and not my money, I definitely wouldn't mind leaving all my money to her, be it in form of credit cards or debit cards as well as raw cash. But once I discern that it's after my money that my women's eyes are after, I would vehemently run for my dear life and money sake because she would go to any length to get access to that money even if it means killing the husband.