Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Debit Card or Credit Card?
Online transactions are indeed a trend now. It's important to have a credit card to transact online but the problem is not everyone has credit cards. They don't have credit cards for some reasons like they have a bad history on their previous card and have been denied because they don't have a stable income. So debit cards were born for those who can't avail credit cards they just needed to put a fund in their cards. Credit card holders also have an option to avail a debit card. Others choose to have a debit card because they say it's much safer to transact online while using a credit card they might hack their account and maxed out their credit limit. 

For you which is safer to use online, debit card or credit card?
Both are awesome to have. Nowadays, credit card and debit card are useful tools to complete transactions not just for online but as well as in a vis a vis transactions. We really can't deny that technological innovation in financial have somehow change our ways of completing transactions. I used both and I can say that it's a big help for someone like me whose activities lies more online. In my country, many would like to use credit card as it does not just offer convenience in transactions such as shopping and payment but also because it offers short term financial aid. Some may count on this for emergency. Not all here is capable of having this because of strict documentary requirements which only few can avail so the tendency of some people is to look for alternative. Since many of my countrymen turn to online jobs and businesses for convenience and efficiency, they apply for debit card because it's easier and faster to acquire. It has lesser documentary requirements unlike credit card. I remeber, the most applied debit card before is EON visa debit card since you can use it to verify paypal and is widely use in transacting online. With that card, you can pay bills, buy products/services, shop online, and send/receive money. You just need to pay Php 250 in applying that debit card. As time goes by, there are innovations for that which includes virtual credit card, a debit card that functions like a credit card. In our country, Paymaya is the best option for now.

If I were to choose, I'll go for debit card. The reason as to why is that because I have tried using credit card and sometimes I tend to become luxurios and shopaholic which builds liabilities. I'm using debit card now and I find it most fit to me because I can't spend more than what my card had. You'll be the one to decide how much are you going to cash in or load up in your card so there'll be no way I can lend. Second, it also offers the same convenience like credit card. Third, it's a lot safer to use for online transactions. If there will be hacking or fishing, your bank or the sytem itself will notify you. Some have OTP or FA. And if you want, you can just put minimal amount on your card depending on your required amount for your activities.

At the end, it's always been up to the user which best fit to their needs. For as long as you can use the cards in a positive way, then that's a good one.
I would say a debit card would be perfect for me, through online or even on physical card usage. I hate the fact of using a credit card, like it just gives you more debt to pay, if you're not that good at handling card and spending cash. But it really depends on the persons liking on whether to use a credit or debit card.
(01-04-2018, 03:02 AM)Cheer Wrote: Both are awesome to have.  Nowadays, credit card and debit card are useful tools to complete transactions not just for online but as well as in a vis a vis transactions.  We really can't deny that technological innovation in financial have somehow change our ways of completing transactions. I used both and I can say that it's a big help for someone like me whose activities lies more online. In my country,  many would like to use credit card as it does not just offer convenience in transactions such as shopping and payment but also because it offers short term financial aid. Some may count on this for emergency. Not all here is capable of having this because of strict documentary requirements which only few can avail so the tendency of some people is to look for alternative.  Since many of my countrymen turn to online jobs and businesses for convenience and efficiency,  they apply for debit card because it's easier and faster to acquire.  It has lesser documentary requirements unlike credit card.  I remeber,  the most applied debit card before is EON visa debit card since you can use it to verify paypal and is widely use in transacting online. With that card,  you can pay bills, buy products/services, shop online, and send/receive money. You just need to pay Php 250 in applying that debit card.  As time goes by,  there are innovations for that which includes virtual credit card, a debit card that functions like a credit card.  In our country,  Paymaya is the best option for now.

If I were to choose,  I'll go for debit card.  The reason as to why is that because I have tried using credit card and sometimes I tend to become luxurios and shopaholic which builds liabilities.  I'm using debit card now and I find it most fit to me because I can't spend more than what my card had.  You'll be the one to decide how much are you going to cash in or load up in your card so there'll be no way I can lend.  Second,  it also offers the same convenience like credit card. Third,  it's a lot safer to use for online transactions.  If there will be hacking or fishing,  your bank or the sytem itself  will notify you. Some have OTP or FA. And if you want,  you can just put minimal amount on your card depending on your required amount for your activities.

At the end,  it's always been up to the user which best fit to their needs. For as long as you can use the cards in a positive way,  then that's a good one.

Thank you for your insights man.
I still haven't decided whether I would use a debit or a credit card.
I started Paymaya but still haven't verified it haha
(01-04-2018, 07:48 AM)Genryodan Wrote: Thank you for your insights man.
I still haven't decided whether I would use a debit or a credit card.
I started Paymaya but still haven't verified it haha

What do you mean by Paymay not be verified yet? Are you having a trouble verifying your debit card? It's actually easy to verify your account through Paymaya, download the apps or you can go to the nearest outlets of Paymaya. Ask for assistance in Paymaya outlets to help you verify your accounts. You might need to bring some documents like valid IDs just to make sure you're the legit cardholder and won't use it for illegal transactions.
I prefer debit cards mainly because there is less of a risk in getting yourself in debt and just money problems in general. Credit cards have so much risk and so many people actually get into debt especially in America where most people spend there money on very useless things. That is just my opinion though.
Ill go for the debit card. Both cards has its advantage and disadvantage. You can use credit card anytime you want since its credit and pay on a given time, disadvantage is that once you weren't able to pay on the said time additional charges is applied. One more thing is that you will feel comfort on buying since you were back up of card even without a cash wherein it will lead you debts. Unlike debit card, you cannot use the card unless there is a fund balance. You can control your self on unwise spending. The point is whatever we use between of those cards still we have to pay.
I think overall you get more protection with credit cards, but debit cards are good from the vantage point that you just need to make sure you make your payment and then you are covered. I would go with a credit card payment if I had to, and other than that, I would just use debit cards.
I personally prefer using a debit card. This way you know how much money you actually have and what is your exact spending potential.

Credit cards on the other hand can give you the false believe that you can spend more than what you actually have. It's easy to go overboard with them. It depends on the person of course. Some people just can't help themselves when it comes to buying new items and purchase more than what they can afford. Then comes the inevitable debt. Soon after that he anxiety about how one is going to return the money follows. Life is simply more peaceful using a debit card.
Sometimes, it is not out of choice why people end up with a debit card. Most payroll ATM cards being issued nowadays are debit cards which gives the user the privilege to use it to pay for store purchases by swiping.

As for which card is safer for online transactions, that would depend on the type of transactions. When it comes to paying bills like water, telephone/internet, electricity, and credit card bills, the ATM card cum debit card is the better card type to use online because it can be used to pay for almost all types of bills as well as load a prepaid cellphone account. Obviously, you can't use a credit card to pay itself or another credit card. The debit card issuer also imposes more stringent security measures such as a One Time Pin or registration and validation of a recipient's account for fund transfers.

As for shopping online, I prefer to use Paypal. I feel safer with it because it is limited to my balance and the balance on the account associated with it. It also provides Buyer Protection.

No way will I ever use my credit cards for online transactions.