Poll: Is it really worth it to have a credit card?
This poll is closed.
Yes
100.00%
5 100.00%
No
0%
0 0%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Is it worthy to get a credit card?
(01-06-2018, 08:10 PM)lisadolor Wrote: Getting a credit card nowadays seems to be a trend because, of course you won't have to bring with you cash when you want to buy something. But, is it really worthy to have or get a credit card? Well, as for me, No. It is totally not worth it because all the things that you bought on credit will initially have an interest to the actual money that you should pay for. I think it is better to have debit cards because you can monitor and control the things and goods that you need and want to purchase.
Yeah it is really worthy, it's worthy for me because I have business online I receive payments through online by using credit  and hassle free.

I use credit card also to buy things online for easy payments using may credit or debit card.
For me, having a credit card is an advantage if you know how to use it. You don't need to pay any interest on a purchase if you know how to allot your money properly on a purchase. for example, you buy an expensive refrigerator and used your credit card. But you know you have the cash to purchase it. So instead of bringing that cash with you, you can just use your card and then transfer the cash to it. No additional charges. That's for personal use. Credit card isn't the one that's at fault here but the user. In debit cards, however, I hate that they put on small charges to your debit card. I don't understand this but this is why I don't use much of my debit card when purchasing.

For business, for me, personally, I use the credit card for it. when you loan a money and use it for some money generating opportunity, it is a wise thing to do. I guess this principle applies for credit card use too.

In general, credit card is a helpful tool to our lives. It can just hit you bad if it's not properly used.
For me, having a credit card is really essential nowadays. Especially now that globally, cashless is being implemented. Slowly cash is being replaced by either online transaction through mobile app or through card transactions. It's safer as well. I even heard from one of my students online in Beijing that there are beggars who asks money to be added on their QR codes. Which is very funny for me. Hahaha
(01-07-2018, 04:26 AM)Henrywrites Wrote: In as much as I think you have a point by saying that everything that credit card is used to pay for got interest added, I still believe that it is a good choice considering the fact that it is safer when compared with going with huge amount of money to buy things at stores. For those that stay in an area where the safety of lives is not great, one might lose cash or even get killed at the point of trying to purchase things with cash.
Yes that is one of the Advantages of having credit card. For your own security. I admit here in my country we are just starting to clean up our street from thieves. I think having a credit card will lessen the chance that you will get targeted by these type of humans.
(01-06-2018, 08:10 PM)lisadolor Wrote: Getting a credit card nowadays seems to be a trend because, of course you won't have to bring with you cash when you want to buy something. But, is it really worthy to have or get a credit card? Well, as for me, No. It is totally not worth it because all the things that you bought on credit will initially have an interest to the actual money that you should pay for. I think it is better to have debit cards because you can monitor and control the things and goods that you need and want to purchase.
I use credit cards for online transactions by using credit card you can buy things online hassle free. I use my credit card to receive payments of my business online.
Yes it so worthy make your life became more comfortable as I've said it's hassle free.
Top 5 why credit card is worth it

1. Signup Bonuses (aka Money for Nothing)
There's nothing like a welcome-aboard perk. Applicants with good credit can get approved for credit cards that offer signup bonuses worth anywhere from $50 to $250 (and sometimes even more). Other cards thank newcomers by bestowing on them a large number of reward points that can be redeemed for fun stuff (more on those below). In contrast, a standard debit card that comes with a bank account offers zero money or very small rewards.

2. Rewards/Points
Rewards are the ne plus ultra, the undeniable reason why paying with plastic beats paying with cash in almost all cases. Many card rewards work on a point system where you earn up to five points per dollar spent. Often companies will offer special three-month promo periods where spending in a certain category, like restaurants or transportation, nets you double or triple the usual amount of points. When you reach a certain point threshold, you can redeem your points for gift cards at some stores, or to buy items outright from the credit card company's "rewards catalogue."

Your credit card rewards options are almost endless. Get a co-branded card issued by a gas station chain, a hotel chain, a clothing store or even a nonprofit organization like AAA and your rewards may increase even faster. The trick is to find the card that best fits with your spending patterns. Doing the inverse – altering your spending patterns to fit with a particular card – is foolish. But if you're already spending a few days a month patronizing a particular hotel or airline, why not use the card that will encourage your continued patronage by offering you discounts?

3. Cash Back
The cash-back credit card was first popularized in the United States by Discover, and the idea was simple: Use the card and get 1% of your balance refunded regardless of what you bought or where you bought it. Today, the concept has grown and matured: Some cards now offer 2%, 3% or even as much as 6% back on selected purchases. Some cards, like the Fidelity Investment Rewards card, offer a higher rate of cash back; in exchange you must deposit your cash back directly into an investment account, however.

4. Frequent-Flyer Miles
This perk predates almost all the rest: It was back in the early 1980s that American Airlines, followed closely by United Airlines and US Airways (now merged with American), began offering the chance to earn frequent-flyer miles via an affiliated credit card. Now, it seems like every airline has at least one credit card available. Cardholders rack up miles at a rate of one mile per dollar spent, or sometimes one mile per two dollars spent. The price of the plane ticket you ultimately end up redeeming your miles for will determine how valuable this credit card reward is, but many frequent flyer cards are made immensely more valuable by their mileage signup bonuses – these are often enough to put you 50%-100% of the way toward a free flight within a month or two.

5. Safety
Paying with a credit card makes it easier to avoid losses from fraud. When your debit card is used by a thief, the money is missing from your account instantly. Legitimate expenses for which you've scheduled online payments or mailed checks may bounce, triggering insufficient funds fees and making your creditors unhappy. Even if not your fault, these late or missed payments can also lower your credit score. It can take a while for the fraudulent transactions to be reversed and the money restored to your account while the bank investigates.
(01-07-2018, 02:11 AM)gelotologist Wrote: It actually depends on the usage, whether for business or for personal use only. And I voted "yes" for the reason that I needed it for business and for the future as well. People nowadays tend to buy or get a credit card gor their personal usage, like for shopping and something about spending more money and it's a bad thing to do for a credit card holder.

I agree to what you said. Because nowadays the credit card can be a very harmful tool you can have if you shop too much and you do not check regularly your balance. It can lead you into bankruptcy in worst scenario.
If you're a responsible person and can handle your own finances, then yes you should get a credit card. There are many benefits of using a credit card if it is used in a proper way. You get to increase your credit score and also earn many reward points, which can then be redeemed for gift cards or cash prizes. Furthermore, it will be easy for you to make purchases with a card rather than with cash.