Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rewards points on credit cards
Do you take advantage of rewards points on credit cards? I don't have a card now that offers that, but I have had some in the past. My friend used to get airline miles on his card. He took 3 of us to Alaska one time just from the points on his card..That was pretty awesome!
I take advantage of reward points only if it's something that I can earn by shopping within my usual budget.

Most credit cards offer reward points but in many cases, one has to spend much to be able to accumulate enough points to enjoy them. I'm keeping a tight rein on my spending and this often means shopping at local stores that don't take credit cards. One credit card offers 3% rebate on fuel by loading at a specific gasoline station and I usually take advantage of that because it helps me save some money on gas. What good are rewards points, anyway, if you have to spend more to earn them?

I used to have a miles card but I was never able to accumulate enough points to be able to use them. I cancelled that card because they are charging extra for annual membership in the miles program.
Reward points is best to collect them first until it reaches the maximum points required then spend it after. I used to stack reward points so that when I want to save big in purchasing an items I can pay less by using my points I collected. You have to be smart specially now a days when everything is going expensive.
Big Grin 
(01-07-2018, 06:15 PM)kgord Wrote: Do you take advantage of rewards points on credit cards? I don't have a card now that offers that, but I have had some in the past. My friend used to get airline miles on his card. He took 3 of us to Alaska one time just from the points on his card..That was pretty awesome!

Wow, that's pretty incredible amazing. Imagine three of you had the chance to go to Alaska for free. What credit card is he using? Maybe I could apply on that one to avail the rewards points. Hehe  Big Grin  Maybe the rewards will depend on the credit limit. Your friend might have a bigger credit limit that's why he has been awarded to have free tickets in Alaska. I'm not sure but they might have a bracket on how to reward their customers.
(01-08-2018, 03:05 AM)aecel Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 06:15 PM)kgord Wrote: Do you take advantage of rewards points on credit cards? I don't have a card now that offers that, but I have had some in the past. My friend used to get airline miles on his card. He took 3 of us to Alaska one time just from the points on his card..That was pretty awesome!

Wow, that's pretty incredible amazing. Imagine three of you had the chance to go to Alaska for free. What credit card is he using? Maybe I could apply on that one to avail the rewards points. Hehe  Big Grin  Maybe the rewards will depend on the credit limit. Your friend might have a bigger credit limit that's why he has been awarded to have free tickets in Alaska. I'm not sure but they might have a bracket on how to reward their customers.

I think it was one of the ones associated with the airlines. It could have been an American Airlines card or something. There are a few cards that offer airline miles. Some reward points programs are flexible and allow you to spend your points on something that you want, air miles, gifts, and the like.

The thing to note about rewards points is that you can pay your credit card off every month and still get the points. So, even if you are watching your spending, you still have to buy consumables like groceries and gas for instance. You can run the purchases through the card, pay it off and get your reward points for trips or whatever you want to use them for.

(01-08-2018, 12:53 AM)Camilla Wrote: I take advantage of reward points only if it's something that I can earn by shopping within my usual budget.  

Most credit cards offer reward points but in many cases, one has to spend much to be able to accumulate enough points to enjoy them. I'm keeping a tight rein on my spending and this often means shopping at local stores that don't take credit cards. One credit card offers 3% rebate on fuel by loading at a specific gasoline station and I usually take advantage of that because it helps me save some money on gas. What good are rewards points, anyway, if you have to spend more to earn them?

I used to have a miles card but I was never able to accumulate enough points to be able to use them. I cancelled that card because they are charging extra for annual membership in the miles program.

I do think there are more fees on some of the cards that give you airline miles now, and that is a shame, because more people would take advantage fo them if they could build up miles for flights. It would just be something they could use.
Getting rewards on points with credit card usage is one of the benefits of having a credit card. When the card is used with patience and stacking up the points to the highest possible worth which can go a long way in having the credit card owner carryout a reasonable transaction with it. 

The truth is that some people used as a result of such benefits to apply for credit card as long as they can afford to pay the debts for using such credit card. And come to look at it very closely, why wouldn't one love to take advantage of such offers when it comes with simply spending and getting more points?
There are credit cards that has reward points just like the 7-11 Cliqq card (available here in the Philippines). Just take note that you don't need to focus more on the rewards. It is just one of the benefits of having a credit card. Since you chose and trusted their services, then they do reward people those who shows their loyalty.
My normal credit card has no rewards points, but I almost never touch it and it has zero fees. It's just for emergencies.

My debit card though, gets me airline points. I just have to remember to transfer money to it on occasion (it's essentially a reloadable prepaid card) to be able to use it. That one charges me $1 a year in fees - God forbid, right?
It also has free overseas transactions though, and withdrawals at foreign atms, which is a big seller to me.
This is one of the benefits of owning a credit card. About points. I really love these thing about credit card where I can earn points. Points that can convert into something useful they offer. Like last Saturday, i redeem 2 boxes of pizzas using my reward point in my credit card. As i spend through my credit card, the more points i have. And plus purchasing using credit card makes my shopping a little bit hard in term of bringing money. You can bring only a single card instead of bringing a lot of money.
(01-09-2018, 06:59 AM)mharzenas Wrote: This is one of the benefits of owning a credit card. About points. I really love these thing about credit card where I can earn points. Points that can convert into something useful they offer. Like last Saturday, i redeem 2 boxes of pizzas using my reward point in my credit card. As i spend through my credit card, the more points i have. And plus purchasing using credit card makes my shopping a little bit hard in term of bringing money. You can bring only a single card instead of bringing a lot of money.

This is part of the reason why even with the risk of debts and so on about owning a credit card, you would definitely see people going for it more, because they are not going to give up enjoying the side benefits that comes with the cards ownership. Personally, I would allow my points to get to a point where I would purchase something more valuable with the points, say for instance a hotel service payment or a flight.