Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Can someone go to jail for not paying their credit cards debts?
(01-08-2018, 10:51 AM)thediamante Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 08:15 AM)aecel Wrote: I think Estafa is different from debts. Estafa is a fraud and it can be done by issuing of bouncing checks. Issuing of bouncing checks is a criminal act that's why they can go to jail. Maybe there's no one can go to jail for not paying their debts because they're giving a chance to those who can't pay they can settle and make an agreement. Though you opt to not to pay, you're going to have a bad credit history.

Oh I see, so they'll just receive bad credit then? How generous.

Crazy law, right? Lenders want to collect payments from the borrowers the rest of their lives they don't put them in jail because they can't collect anything from them. They rather choose the money no matter how long it's gonna take than not receiving a money at all.
(01-08-2018, 01:42 AM)aecel Wrote: For me, not paying credit card debts is a bad habit but I don't think so if it can put us into jail for that reason. But, it is not really good to have that kind of character because we are all humans, we must use our mind properly, except for those mentally challenged ones. But for us as normal persons, if not paying such thing cannot put us into jail, we must still be faithful enough.

you can't go to jail for nonpayment, but.. if you're worried about spending time behind bars for not paying your credit card dept, know that there is no deptor's prison in the united states, however there are other legal repercussions of which you should be aware, here in the philippines many people go to jail when it comes to money related problems.
No one actually got jailed for not paying a credit card. But if you don't pay your credits you might lose something important in your life. The dignity of your name. You will be listed in blocked list where I think some banks will also alert the other banks of your record. It may result that you cannot loan anymore in any banks.
Its a criminal act , first of all you will warn if not pay your debt in the banks second you will go to civil court and talk about your problem and theres a possibility that you will go to jail if you not pay your debt the judge will speak about the favor if they want you to give a chance or not the judge will not order jail time if you pay or give a chance of the bank so you must pay your debt before the declared date that you will pay them
I never heard person who got jailed because he/she didn't pay his bills on his credit card. I think some are issuing bankruptcy on there account. I don't know if its true but I heard some are doing it.
Yes of course, because you sign the designated date you want to pay your loans.

If you can't pay on time maybe you can go to jail, will it's still depends.
(01-23-2018, 09:07 AM)mharzenas Wrote: I never heard person who got jailed because he/she didn't pay his bills on his credit card. I think some are issuing bankruptcy on there account. I don't know if its true but I heard some are doing it.

Currently, it's not done in any country. Nobody have ever been convicted of credit cards debts. It's simply on the bank to issue bad credit to the individual which makes it almost impossible for the individual to ever apply and get a new credit card or even apply for loans as well. It would just make a mess of the financial life of the individual, rendering him or her incapable to getting financial benefits ever again.
I think you will not get jailed because you didn't pay the credit card. But one thing I know is you will destroy your name in any banks in your country. They say that the other banks are giving warning to other banks that you didn't pay in you last bank credits.
There is no law that states that you will go to jail for not paying your credit card debts. If the collector threatens someone with prison, then that is something which is considered illegal. You will not go to jail, but you will face penalties. They could garnish your wages or tax returns to pay off the debt that the court has rules you owe. You could even be forced to sell assets to settle up with your creditor.