Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Can someone go to jail for not paying their credit cards debts?
(02-02-2018, 08:37 PM)Uyj143 Wrote: Debtors’ prisons are a thing of the past. Usually, you cannot go to jail just because you don’t pay your debts or bills. However, there are a few situations when you might face jail time in connection with a debt.

I'm just curious, what are those situations that they might go to jail if they don't pay their debts? Because it's clearly stated in law that no one should be put in jail they should know their rights.
(02-02-2018, 08:37 PM)Uyj143 Wrote: Debtors’ prisons are a thing of the past. Usually, you cannot go to jail just because you don’t pay your debts or bills. However, there are a few situations when you might face jail time in connection with a debt.

I strongly doubt there is any reason or situation whereby a debtor can be sent to prison for not paying. As long as the individual acknowledged his debt and willing to pay up when the resources to pay is available to him or her, there is nothing like getting convicted over the debt and actually serving jail time. 

The only thing that I would agree to is if such individual is connected to having committed fraud in order to clear his or her debt and once caught, there is definitely going to be conviction and jail time coming for such person.